When I was doing my Silence, it occurred to me that most of what we do is to avoid thinking.
So for those of you who aren’t interested in learning to think, control your mind, or have a better life, here are some wonderful tips on how to do that:
- Never do your Sit. It takes too much time. You’ve got better things to do. Besides, you can function just fine with your kids, partner, phone, TV and computer going all at once.
- Have every app on your phone send you notifications! You’ll be bombarded with noise from your email, messages and apps. How fun is that?
- Check your email, social media, and websites every hour. Every one of them. You know, just in case.
- Turn on the TV to a 24 hour news network and keep it on all day and all night. Put a TV in every room of your house. You never know what you might be missing.
- Never go anywhere without at least one person with you, especially someone who talks constantly.
- Better yet, you talk constantly. Stream of consciousness is good for you.
- Eat every hour, more if you feel like it. Between preparing, eating, and cleaning up, you’ll be constantly busy. Keeps you from having to think. And make sure you eat in front of the TV, computer, or both. You’ll never have to think then.
- Keep busy. Busy, busy, busy! Don’t ever take any time to yourself. You’ll get lots of praise and admiration from others for being so darn busy, plus you’ll have a great excuse for when you don’t want to do something.
- Your vice of choice, whatever it is. Smoking, drinking, gaming, and drugs are great ways to avoid thinking.
- If you are forced to be alone, for example, you’re driving somewhere or in the shower, make sure there’s something to listen to. Audiobooks, radio, your favorite tunes, whatever. They’ll stop you from thinking for sure!
- When you do think, it’s important to think of negative things. Worry a lot. Get angry. Feel sorry for yourself. Indulge all the negativity you can. That will be sure to keep you from thinking about anything useful.
So there you have it: eleven awesome ways to keep from thinking.
If this does not sound fun, useful, peaceful, or like anything you want, then why not try another way?